Semantic interoperability (again)
- Data structuring highly depends on cultural traditions:
- My DTD is right, your is wrong
- This is not an ENTITY, is an
ATTRIBUTE of ENTITY xxx
- Even a simple data item can be obscure:
- Does everyone know what the "9 Thermidore" is?
- Are we in the year 5765?
- Maybe in the year 1382?
- Quoted from a diary: "On 9/11/2001 I was in NYC. It was a pleasant day,
and everything was going as planned."
- The more sophisticated is the document structure, the less probable
is the compatibility.
- Even widely accepted standards, like Dublin Core or
Bib-1 are sometimes used in a non consistent manner.